Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 09:25
This is the part where you have to decide what you expect of your season, your team and the individual players. There is so much to learn, but how much time do you have? You have to make decisions, prioritize. Luckily, lots of coaches and unions have invested a lot of time in this, you can simply start of with their work. Their Long Term Athlete Development (or LTAD) models helps us to understand the different phases of development and the best way to present learning. The role of an U10's coach is really different from that of an Elite team.
You can use these LTAD model as a starting point for your goalsetting. I like the Irish version: Long Term Player Development.
Other factors are:
- Target your opposition, what is needed to beat them?
- Use the experiences of last season.
This is also the moment to think about training cycles, you can outline a whole season/year, detail shorter cycles. What are the individuals goals for these cycles?
- More information on Goalsetting.
- Background information on the Long Term Athlete Development Model.
- Download LTPD and LTAD models I used from the Free Download Page.