This page contains coaching material ready for you to download and use when working with your team.
- A basic time table for routing a rugby match, (pdf file)
On Motivation of Rugby Players
- Timothy D. Lee, Article on cognitive effort and motor learning (Acrobat File)
- Joan Duda, on how to create the right motivational climate (Acrobat File)
- Difference between running techniques for 100m sprint and rugby by Mark Sayers (Acrobat File)
Free Match statistics (please sent me more…)
- A very extensive analysis form made by Andre Leroy (Exel Sheet)
Free Rugby Coaching Manuals (please sent me links or electronic copies)
- Presentation of Pierre Villepreux on playing the adaptive game (jeu adaptive) (Acrobat File)
- Another presentation from Pierre Villepreux (1993) on decision making in rugby (Acrobat file, 56 kB)
- A Cooper test to VO2max conversion table (Acrobat File)
- VO2max reference table (Acrobat File).
- The University of Queensland has pieced together a whole set of tests (Word Document)
Rugby and medical issues
Don de Winter, MD Sports Physician and formerly employed by the NRB has contributed with several articles.
- What to do with head injuries (again a very practical document, Acrobat File, and the standard SCAT2 protocol, Acrobat File)
- A “Urine Color Chart” to help players check their hydration levels (Acrobat File)
On Nutrition and Doping some IOC documents
- The 2017 Prohibited list – World Anti Doping Code (Acrobat File)
- World Anti Doping Code (Acrobat File)
- IOC Consensus Statement on training the elite child athlete (Acrobat File)
For the mental training program for rugby.
- A pretty standard document on how to be ready at the kick-off: Arousal Management (Acrobat File)
LTAD and Rugby
I was involved with the Dutch Rugby Union and the NOC to set up the talentdevelopment program for rugby in the Netherlands. Here some documents we were using:
- RFU’s Long Term Athlete Development Program (RFU Booklet) (Acrobat File)
- IRU’s Long Term Player Development Program (Acrobat File)
- FFR’s Développement a Long Terme de l’Athlete (Acrobat File)